Since the first days of the Yakutskaya ASSR the Republic leaders M.K. Ammosov, P.A. Oyunsky, P.A. Barakhov and S.M. Arzhakov promoted the air route connecting Yakutsk with the Trans-Siberian Railway. Yakutia badly needed a breakthrough in its transport isolation from the economy and civilization centers. Along with the task of establishing regular air connection with the Trans-Siberian Yakutia authorities planned setting up transport links between Yakutsk and the northern uluses.
On October 19 1923 The USSR Council of Labour and Defense endorsed the three-year tentative plan of launching domestic air routes, also in Siberia and the Far East.
1925 — 1939
October 08 is the birthday of Yakutia aviation. Here the aircraft Sopvitch piloted by P.M. Fadeev performed its maiden flight. After taking off from the Darkylakh pier the aircraft landed in Zeleny Lug (Green Meadow).
On August 29 the inauguration of the air route between Irkutsk and Yakutsk took place (the Yakutskaya hydroplane route of civil aviation), the first shuttle service of the USSR over Siberia, the Far East and the Extreme North.
In June the prospecting expedition was sent to look for land airdromes and landing pads to transfer the air line Irkutsk - Yakutsk to overland service.
On July 18 the geodetic works of the Aldanskaya party finished and the Yakutsk airfield was benchmarked. On the same day at the sitting of different agencies under People’s Commissar Ivanov the construction project of the Yakutsk airfield was discussed for the overland route between Rukhlovo (present Skovorodino) and Nezametny.
Construction of Yakutsk Airport began. An unprecedented cut-down on the flight time duration was achieved. In favourable weather the flying time was 24 hours.
Resolution #209 of the Soviet of People’s Commissars of February 25 1932 vested the authority for regulating civil aviation with the Main Department of the Civil Air Fleet. Line and hub air stations received the name of airports.
The maiden exploratory flight on the route Yakutsk – Oymyakon – Yakutsk was performed.
P.I. Barinov was appointed head of Yakutsk Airport.
In August the construction of Yakutsk permanent airdrome the size of 450 x 500m in the current airport location, was finished. The hangar for 2 aircraft was built, the premises for warming up the engine and the water and oil heater appeared.
Shuttle service between Yakutsk and the Aldan gold mining area started. Landing pads in the Namsky, Tattinsky, Churapchinsky and Amgunsky rayons and hydroports in Sangary and Churapche for air connection with Yakutsk were constructed.
The pioneering flight Yakutsk – Sangary - Vilyuisk established the connection with several Vilyui rayons.
Aleksandr Evstafyevitch Medynsky was appointed head of Yakutsk Airport. New air routes were launched: Yakutsk – Verkhoyansk – Kazachye – Tiksi; Yakutsk – Nyurba.
Early that year the construction of the urban settlement for aviation personnel was finished (now it is the Aviagroup area).
Aleksandr Kuzmitch Ivanov was appointed head of the airport on January 21.
1940 — 1949
The airport terminal with passenger lounges, a buffet, a meteorological station and a service staff room was commissioned. P.I. Barinov became head of Yakutsk Airport on August 12.
Engineer Captain Vsevolod Ivanovitch Popov was appointed head of the airport. On October 10 a sitting of the Commission choosing the site for construction of the Yakutsk combined land airdrome and airplane pier for the Yakutsk Air Group, Civil Air Fleet and other entities, took place.
The construction of the radio station, the building for technical services, the direction finding antenna and the headquarters was finished.
Two types of heaters on solid fuel were designed and manufactured in Yakutsk Airport for warming up the engines in winter.
The construction of the paved runway started in Yakutsk Airport.
Regular flights started (winter and summer options) from Yakutsk to Moscow, from Yakutsk to Krasnoyarsk and over to Uelkal, from Yakutsk to Magadan, from Yakutsk to Irkutsk.
On May 08 the wooden air terminal with a hotel, a restaurant, an operations department, an air traffic control tower and a radio bureau was built. On August 28 the bitumen-impregnated runway was commissioned. Colonel Khramtsov became head of the airport.
The airport got ready for night flights of Po-2 aircraft.
In-flight catering offered sandwiches, confectionary, fruit drinks, tea and coffee.
The airport gets connected with 19 operating airports of the Republic.
1950 — 1979
The first An-2s from Kiev aircraft manufacturing plant landed at the airport.
Shuttle service of Il-12 from Irkutsk started.
Low-temperature tests of Il-14 were conducted.
Yakutsk Airport received Mi-4 helicopter.
Il-14 aircraft replenished the fleet. The airport installed and launched the Romashka surveillance radar. Regular flights between Yakutsk and Mirny started.
The outer and the inner marker beacons with magnetic bearing 2280 and also the Globus ground control approach system RSP-4M (GCA) were commissioned.
The first Il-18 landed at the airport.
An-10 started operating on the route Irkutsk – Yakutsk.
The ground control approach system was shifted to the new runway; the ODRL (Mode S) radar was launched. Regular Il-18 flights on the route Moscow – Sverdlovsk – Krasnoyarsk – Yakutsk began.
The new comfortable air terminal opened, servicing 500 passengers an hour.
A hotel for 150 guests was built at Yakutsk Airport.
The airport became base for turbine propeller An-24. The construction and commissioning of the RSBN short-range radiotechnical navigation system took place. The SVOD manual direction finder system Svod was launched.
An-12 aircraft operations began.
Low temperature tests of Tu-134 started.
The automated telephone exchange station for 1 400 subscribers was commissioned. The airport launched the SP-50M landing system. Proof-of-compliance tests of Yak-40 were conducted.
The first An-26 arrived in Yakutsk.
The RSBN-4 radio aids system for short-range aviation was launched. On December 21 the Tu-154 jet liner landed at the airport. It covered the distance from Moscow to Yakutsk in 7 hours 03 minutes not counting the ground turn-around time in Omsk and Bratsk.
The hangar for technical maintenance of aircraft was built.
The Il-76 cargo aircraft arrived for performing test flights under low temperature. On April 01 the Tu-154 shuttle service on the route Moscow — Novosibirsk — Yakutsk was launched. The construction of the catering workshop began.
The construction of the IVPP-2 runway for instrumental landing of Il-62 began.
1980 — 1996
Airbus Il-86 landed at Yakutsk Airport after a test flight from Moscow. On December 25 the catering workshop for 300 food ration kits an hour was commissioned.
The airport became base for two Tu-154 aircraft of the third generation. Shuttle service of Il-62 on the route Moscow — Yakutsk and of Lu-154 on the route Yakutsk — Khabarovsk, Yakutsk — Irkutsk began.
Tu-154 opened shuttle service on the route Yakutsk — Abakan — Sverdlovsk — Leningrad. The Liner Hotel for 427 visitors and the restaurant for 160 visitors were commissioned.
An-24, An-26, L-410 landing with the NDB (MKP-233) approach was certified according to ICAO Category I. Il-76TD came into service. The telephone exchange stations Kvant for 2 064 subscribers was commissioned.
Testing of long-range Il-96-300 under low temperature began. Yakutaviatrans Aviation and Yakutsk Airport were registered with Yakutsk Public JSC.
The data switching center substituted manual telegraphy.
Yakutavia concern was liquidated. State unitary company National Air Company “Sakha Avia” with branches was registered.
The landing system SP-80 was commissioned.
Testing of Boeing-757 under low temperature began. Yakutia aviation celebrated its 70th anniversary.
The new passenger terminal with the capacity of 700 passengers an hour was built.
The Resolution of the Sakha (Yakutia) Government endorsed the registration of the state unitary company Yakutsk Airport. A.A. Illarionov was appointed General director.
Shuttle service of Airbus A-300 on the route Yakutsk — Sheremetyevo began.
At the International forum on air traffic control held in Yakutsk (RAKGAT-99) Yakutsk Airport was chosen as an alternative for cross-polar flights. The reconstruction of coating on the second paved runway (IVPP-2) began.
Testing of Tu-214 under low temperature began. The USA federal authorities together with a group of foreign air companies rated the airport as alternative for cross-polar flights. The temporary customs storage was fitted with the Yantar 1P system for detecting fissionable nuclear material.
Refurbishment of the dedicated equipment fleet for handling aircraft began. The airport and its main subdivisions got certified.
The reconstruction of the IVPP-2 instrument landing runway ended. The new generation Boeing 777-300ER landed at the airport. Testing of Il-96 and Airbus A340 under low temperature began. The cynological service opened.
The air companies United Airlines, North West, Cathay Pacific, Continental Airways, CCA started shuttle cross-polar service. Over 10 air companies perform flights on the Trans-Siberian air routes across the southern part of Yakutia: FinnAir, ANA и JAL (Япония), Singapore Airlines, SpeedBird (Англия), Lufthansa, Аэрофлот, KLM, Air France, etc.
Low-temperature operability tests of the amphibian Be-400 ChS for rescue and major fire management operations and also tests of Airbus A219 and Tu-334, began. Yakutsk Airport incorporated the service of ground navigation aids and PKK AirportTorgService for catering supplies. The cargo terminal opened the customs control permanent zone. The IDMAN lighting aids system after ICAO Category I was launched. The company designed its logo and brand style. The digital telephone exchange appeared.
The reconstruction of the Liner Hotel finished. The reconstruction of the cargo terminal began. The snow- and dust-removing machine Boshung Jetbroom was procured. The Chief mechanic service invented the Barrier Dorozhny anti-terrorist devices of forced stop of a vehicle.
The shuttle service on the Yakutsk — Harbin route began. The upgrading of the lighting equipment to ICAO Category II finished. After auditing the Certification Center ESTOP commission awarded Airport Yakutsk ICAO Category II. The repair of the first taxiway was carried out, the reconstruction of the apron and parking lots for aircraft continued. The automated passenger check-in system was modernized in view of future e-ticket operations. The system of video monitoring for flight safety broadened its operational area.
The decision was taken on construction of the new passenger terminal with the throughput capacity up to 900 passengers an hour. Homo-Scan screening equipment was installed. The engineering aviation service was organized for technical maintenance of aircraft and their flight preparation.
Yakutsk Airport was certified for receiving Boeing 757 and A 319 and their modifications. The first Boeing 747-200, a largest aircraft of the world landed in Yakutsk. Il 96-400T cargo landed for testing the inertial navigation system.
The state-of-the art access control and the video monitoring system in the passenger air terminal were launched. The contract was signed for supply of the ASNext Integral complex management system for the airport operational subdivisions: for planning, material control and accounting, and analysis of aviation operations.
An FMC Commander 15 aircraft lower deck loader, a Douglas towing tug, an apron bus, and an airport fire tender and other vehicles were procured. The Chief mechanic service under Aleksandr Innokentyevitch Zharnikov designed and mantled the equipment for the new cargo terminal (4 belt conveyers and unloading tables for cargo receipt). The project turned out more efficient than the costly ROSLAS-manufactured one.
The airport official website was launched: www.airport-yakutsk.ru. The first stage of the Yakutsk Airport cargo terminal was commissioned. E-ticketing began.
Aeroflot-Cargo company started DC-10-40F cargo shuttle service to Yakutsk Airport. The first flight on the route Moscow — Yakutsk — Khabarovsk was made on March 23. The vehicle fleet was replenished by catering lifts and KG-B6300 low-floor apron buses. A new efficient water treatment unit was installed to improve the drinking water provided to aircraft.
The Yakutia aviation museum opened. A new sushi-bar opened on the ground floor of the Liner Hotel.
The BBC C-130 Hercules military cargo plane of Canadian Air Force that was flying on the route of Brussels — Moscow — Novosibirsk — Ulan-Ude — Yakutsk landed at the airport under the Open Skies program.
Siberia air company started the Airbus A-310 shuttle service on the route Yakutsk – Moscow – Yakutsk. A festive opening of Sixth Floor of the Liner Hotel after reconstruction took place. Now the Liner is a modern hotel with 130 comfortable rooms.
On December 09 State unitary enterprise Yakutsk Airport after reorganization was transformed into Public Joint-Stock Company “Yakutsk Airport”.